Sunday, September 30, 2007

Edwards Again

I had seen notices that Edwards was going to be at a house party, and decided to go at the last minute, as I had never been to a house party before and this was only a couple of miles from my home. And was I glad I went! I liked him even more this time.

The meeting was in the backyard of a supporter’s home, with a couple of hundred people attending. Children were sitting on the swing set in the backyard and listening (engaging in the political process at an early age I am sure helps them be active participants in the democratic process as they grow older). A postman doing his rounds stopped and looked over the hedge a bit. Some passersby stopped on the sidewalk and listened over the hedge.

Edwards spoke with more details this time. He talked at some length about his plan for universal health care, and again pledged not to accept money from lobby groups. He said three things that won me over – one, that America has 4% of the population but is the world’s worst polluter (how many candidates are critical of the US?), two, buying local helps fight global warming because when goods are transported we are contributing to global warming (gosh, I thought only extreme environmentalists said that), and three, we need to make progress politically in Iraq. And oh, he also said in response to a question (on how to restore checks and balances in the government) that transparency was essential in every bit of the government and the governing process. For the immigration issue he said we should do what makes sense and what is moral and just. And he speaks with energy, with a touch of something that makes him look very credible.

I guess I still believe (!) that the world can really change, which is why I get fired up! I signed a supporter card this time.

No comments: